Pages

Saturday 19 July 2014

Birth Story

I haven't posted in so long and I actually was gonna post as soon as I found out I'm pregnant. As you can see it didn't happen. and then I started a post when I was 33 weeks pregnant as I really wanted to document my pregnancy.. it's still in my drafts folder...

So Karly actually inspired me to go on and take up blogging again and as she shared her birth story I thought I could try to share mine, too.

Even thought Nathanael is turning 8 months soon I will start at the beginning trying to remember the details of when we first met him.

Basically I have to start on the 21st of november 2013. I work at the local tourist office as a tour guide a few days a month and so that day we all went to the capital to visit their tourist office and go on a city tour and later in the evening we were gonna have dinner. I was feeling fine and never even thought about not going (the capital is about 1,5 hour away by train). I might have to mention I was 38 weeks and a few days pregnant at the time. So we were walking around the city for about 3 hours and then had dinner. At about 11pm we were back at my home town and my husband picked me up from the train station. I was in bed at about 11.30pm and at around midnight I heard/felt a "blop", I got up, went to the toilet and there was some kind a fluid. I really wasn't sure if it was my water and so I waited a while... I guess I thought that there must be a lot of water coming (even though they told us that there doesn't have to be litres of water coming).. I went back to our room and I said to hubster "I guess my water broke" and he was like " what??, are you sure?" Of course I wasn't sure... well, after a while we decided to call the hospital and they said to get ready and come in to check if it was my water.

Off we went. We were put into a small delivery room and I got hooked up in the CTG and then there was more water coming which meant I had to stay in the hospital. So we stayed in that room and different nurses and doctors came in to check on me.. Basically we were just waiting, nothing happened and no sleep, really...
In the morning we were allowed to go into a room and hubster went to work as there really wasn't anything happening. The nurses told me to go for walks to get the labour going... and that's what I did. My mum came in and we walked the stairs countless times. result = nothing.

They then decided to induce me as there wasn't so much water in my uterus left. I was induced at 6pm on the 22nd of november. My husband was back at the hospital at around 9.30pm and we tried to get some sleep.. no sleep for me, though. At around 10.30pm hubster called the midwife as I was in pain. So they took me into a delivery room. I asked to take a bath hoping I would be able to relax a bit. Oh, dear. I really didn't work. I was sooo tired as I hadn't slept in so long and I was falling asleep between my contractions... So I asked if there was anything else I could do before an epidural.. The midwife checked me and said that I had dilated about 2cm and she would recommend an epidural so I could sleep a bit and gather some strength..
At about 2.15am the doctor came in to set the epidural. I was really afraid of it and it turned out to be ok. I was so damn focused to breathe and not move during the contractions that I didn't really pay attention to what happened on/ in my back. The first try only sedated one side and I was still feeling the contraction on the other side so he tried again and it finally worked. Hubster and I were able to get some rest from about 4am to about 6.30am. The midwife checked me again and I was at about 4cm so still a long way to go and my contractions were getting less and so they decided hook me up with some kind of fluid to make them stronger again (I have no idea what it was called). At about 7.30am I asked the midwife to go to the toilet and she checked me and said "well, it's your baby you're feeling. I think it might be time to push". 

I was sooo happy to hear that!!! So I pushed for about 1.5 hours and then at 9.32am on the 23rd of november Nathanael was born. 
I was overwhelmed and so was my husband.. I can't even explain how I felt. I kept staring at him and all I felt was unconditional love. he was, is and always will be perfect.




He stayed with me for a while and I was able to latch him on. After some time (I had lost all sense of time by then) they weighed and measured him. His dad gave him a bath and dressed him and we moved into our room. As I was suffering from gestational diabetes they checked his blood sugar and decided to feed him some formula to get his blood sugar up. It was ok with me as the hospital we were at is really strong on breastfeeding so I latched him on every few hours to get my milk flowing...



I have to get lunch ready so I will finish here. 
I'll probably do a 7 month update next..

Hope you enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment