Pages

Monday 21 July 2014

Mummy Monday: My view on Breastfeeding

I decided to try and put up a "mummy post" each monday. Munchkin is turning 8 months on wednesday and therefore I will write an 8 month post next monday. So I thought I would write about my experience when it comes to breastfeeding.

Before giving birth to Nathanael I really wanted to breastfeed. My goal was at least 6 month. However, if it didn't work, it just didn't and I was ok with that as well.

So when Nate was born the midwife tried to get him to latch on pretty much straight away and he was doing so good. He latched on and got down to business. I have to admit it was kind of painful.
Well, it turned out that the midwife helping me to get him to latch on somehow didn't do it properly and I basically had bruises all over my nipples. It hurt. It really did. So every time he latched on it was super painful. The nurse gave me a nipple shield so it would hurt less. My milk came in, I think on the 3rd day and Nate was really doing great.  I nursed him whenever he wanted and I actually had to wake him up during the night so he could feed. The thing is that he had jaundice and turned quite yellow so he had to drink as much as possible.


So it went really well. Even at home it was all good. I was still using the nipple shield and my midwife told me to try stop using it which I did. BUT it was painful. As I was used to using the nipple shield it hurt pretty bad when I tried to nurse without it as my nipples weren't used to the straight on eating action of Nathanael. But I kept on trying and I would say round about the 2 month mark I was doing better without the shield.


Then some other problems surfaced. I was having difficulties mainly with my right boob. I had clogged milk ducts and I was sore while feeding and even when I wasn't feeding. Two or three times I was even quite worried to actually get a mastitis. I did some research online and asked some other mums what I could do. So I ended up putting a hot washcloth on my boob before feeding and a cool pack  after the feeding. At one point I even considered stopping to breastfeed. I DIDN'T! and I'm proud of it.


Up until the time when I just fed in the mornings and evenings I was having trouble with my right boob and from then on everything was ok.

We started Nathanael on solids when he turned 5 months old (I might to a different post about that). I kept on feeding 3 times a day and then went to twice a day (mornings/evenings) and now we're down to one feed a day. I breastfeed in the mornings and I want to keep it that way as long as I produce enough milk and I feel comfortable doing it. We do feed him formula in the evenings now. Mainly just because I don't have enough milk anymore to pump and we were away for 2 nights and I didn't have any breast milk in my freezer anymore.



To sum it up.
Breastfeeding has been amazing. I love doing it and I would do the same with our 2nd child. It was super easy (if traveling somewhere, nursing on demand). I was nursing in the car, restaurant, train, at home, in our garden, basically wherever I was and whenever he was hungry. I never felt ashamed or uncomfortable doing so. I loved the experience of being so close to my child and sharing such a intimate moment with him. I would totally recommend doing it to any other mother. However, if it doesn't work, if there's not enough milk, way too much pain and so on... well, then don't. I'm totally not anti-formula.. Do whatever works best for you!!!


And now I can enjoy a good glass of wine from time to time... :D

No comments:

Post a Comment